One of the questions I get asked quite often, even by complete strangers, is “how did you customize your icons?”
There is an Apple app called Cocoppa that allows you to download from thousands of cute icons and connect them to your already installed apps BUT they only create shortcuts, they don’t actually replace them. Basically you are just taking up extra space on your springboard and it takes an extra 2 seconds to open your apps since it has to connect and switch.
I learned how to actually swap out the original icons for ones of my liking, and I found them all through Cocoppa.
~ iPhone must be jailbroken.
~ You’ll need Cocoppa (Apple) and iFile, Iconmaker, and Winterboard (Cydia).
~ Turn “summerboard” on in Winterboard.
I’m going to add a custom icon for my Beautylish app, those who have this app will know that the icon is black with a white B on it.
1. Search through cocoppa and find the image that you want, click on “share this image” .
(You’ll be asked to connect to your social media accounts, I chose Twitter. We won’t actually be sharing it).
2. After clicking the “share” button you’ll be shown a preview, highlight only the link and copy it.
3. Open the Safari app and load the URL you just copied. Press and hold the image of the icon and click “save image”.
**UPDATE: With iOS 7, You can no longer just click & “save image”, what I did was screenshot the page and edited it the photos app by cropping the image to only show the icon square.
4. Open iconmaker and click the camera button to upload the image your just saved. Make certain that the right buttons are on/off. Click “generate icon”, this will automatically take you to iFile.
5. If you get options to “view this imagine, archive, etc”, just click cancel. You will only use the first two options, icon.png and email@example.com. Click the blue arrow next to each option and change the word icon to the exact (spelling, spacing, capitalization) name of the icon you are going to be replacing.
6. Click the Edit button on the upper right corner, click on the clipboard that appears on the bottom right corner, click the name changes, and then click the Cut option.
7. Click on the Library button(see pic 5) until you get back to Var, click Stash, click Themes.
8. Click Edit and create a new Folder named “My Personal Icons”, in that folder create another folder called Icons.
9. In the Icons folders, click Edit, click the clipboard, click Paste, click Done.
10. Activate the changes by selecting “My Personal Icons” in Winterboard followed by a Respring.